My friend asked me to take a look at a weird issue on her Word application. No matter what she did, her words are somehow splitting onto new lines. Which left the half of her words at the first line, and the rest was at the following line. Continue reading
Say you have a few hundreds WORD (*.doc and *.docx) files on your computer, and you need to convert them all into PDF format files. Yes, you can open them and then Save As into PDF in WORD 2007 one by one, or you can highlight all of them (provided they are in the same folder) and print them into PDF format. But you still need to click a few hundreds times mouse to answer Save As… questions within Word. Is there a way to automate it.
Hey, you might say I already mentioned this similar feature in my previous post (http://lichao.net/eblog/how-to-auto-find-and-replace-text-in-bulk-word-files-and-save-convert-to-other-format-with-script-201002475.html). But that script was mainly created for Find and Replace feature and there is a glitch in the PDF convert bonus feature. If you have Word 2007 installed on your machine, and that script will prompt you with READ-ONLY permission warning if your Word files are in 2003 version. But if you use that script on Word 2003 machine, the PDF convert feature will not work. So we need to create separate PDF convert scripts for Word 2003 and Word 2007.
As I indicated in my previous post, I needed to rename thousands Microsoft Word documents based on the updated old/new catalog ID pairs.
But that was just one part of my requirement. Since these Word DOC files have the old catalog IDs inside the content which need to be updated with new IDs as well. The methods of my previous post could only resolve the file name part but not the contents.
I started with some existing utilities I found on the Internet but they were not working as I hoped.
1), I tried the Useful File Utility along with its free plug-in “Batch Replacer for MS Word” (Useful File Utility is a shareware which can allow you to use 15 times for free, then $29 for a single user license). It looks promising as it indicated on its web page, but it failed on me with too many un-successful replaces in a few hundreds files.
2), I was impressed with this VBA macro I found on Internet named VBA Find and Replace. But it could not work well with the Find and Replace text list. I always get an error saying my name list is not valid.
After one night’s trying, I decided to write my own script to handle such automate job.
We have a few hundreds Microsoft Word documents with old catalog names as their file names. We need to rename them with these new catalog ID as their new file name. Good thing is that we already have these old/new catalog name pairs in an Excel worksheet.
To save the time of manually changing all file names, we come up two solutions/approaches to automate the process.
Today I tried to copy and paste an email in Outlook 2003 but found out the SELECT ALL function of my mouse did not work. I could not highlight any texts in the mail body, and I could not even see the copy & paste options and the whole context menu by right clicking my mouse.
Since I know I configured in the Outlook to use Microsoft Word 2003 as the primary email compose tool, I opened a new Word Window to see how things do in the Word. Same thing happened in Microsoft Word 2003, I could not use all my mouse right clicking.