I installed ubuntu 9.10 on one of my laptops with GNOME desktop environment, but unfortunately it worked very slow due to the limited memory of 256 MB. So I decided to switch to xfce desktop environment. After I installed xfce on top of GNOME then remove all package of gnome, I started to have some different issues as I had in the Ubuntu GNOME environment. Today I just wanted to talk about the flash player plug-in installation on Firefox issue here.
When I went to the Adobe web site http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/ I first tried the “APT for ubuntu 9.04+” option from the version choose dropdown. But a little while I got the following error message:
Unknown channel ‘karmic-partner’….
To resolve this problem to install flash on xubuntu, you can do either one of the following two methods.
Just down the DEP file instead of the APT package.
1. On http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/ web site, choose “.deb for Ubuntu 8.04+” option (the second one from the bottom) in the Select Version to Download drop down box. And click Agree and Download button to continue.
2. click the Open with button on the following screen and follow the instruction.
3. When the dpkg installer has finished, you need to restart your firefox to use the flash plugin.
1. On the same Adobe Flash Player download page, this time select “.tar.gz for Linux” second option from the top in the drop down box. When prompted, select a place to save your file.
2. Left click on the file you downloaded and extract the files to your home folder. This will create a folder called install_flash_player_7_linux.
4. Open a terminal and enter:
5. Enter your password when prompted. And follow the on screen instructions. When asked for the path to your browser enter /usr/lib/mozilla-firefox.
6. When this is done and restart your firefox.
Now, enjoy Youtube and other flash powered web sites on your xubuntu machine.Firefox, flash, installation, Linux, Ubuntu, xubuntu