How to resolve “The object could not be found” issue in Outlook 2003

Challenge:

OutlookIn my Outlook 2003, I could not use my right click with all mail/calendar items, and whenever I tried to open a recurring event I got an “object not found” error message. Any new event setup after my issue was fine.

Steps I took in vail:

  • Cleared forms cache in Outlook
  • Ran detect/repair option from Outlook
  • Deleted Outlook Profile, rebooted, setup profile again
  • Uninstalled and reinstalled Office suites including Outlook.

Working Solution:

Continue to investigate and found out other users are working fine in Outlook on my machine, and I did not have any problem on other machine with my own logon. So the conclusion was that there was some thing wrong with my local setting in my profile on this machine.

After researching on the Internet, got an instruction as the following:

Try deleting the “frmcache.dat” file (or renaming it frmcache.bak if you areof a nervous disposition), because it’s probably corrupt. It can be found in

“Local Settings\application data\microsoft\forms”.

When you re-open Outlook it will re-create the file, and the problem will (hopefully) be gone.

I closed my outlook and did the step above, when I re-start the Outlook, wola~~~, everything is working back fine now.

Hope it will be helpful for you too.

47 thoughts on “How to resolve “The object could not be found” issue in Outlook 2003

  1. Ramesh

    Wonderful solution. Ran into the same issue on PC refresh. Issue resolved on deleting the specified file. Saw outlooking creating the file.

    [Reply]

    Madhav replied on November 8th, 2011:

    thanks for the tip. it works for me too.

    [Reply]

    Reply
  2. Jeff

    After hours of troubleshooting and doing all of the other initial steps that you went through, I found this article, deleted the form cache, and everything now works perfectly. THANK YOU for posting this solution.

    [Reply]

    Reply
  3. Rob

    I get that message when trying to close an archived .pst (not *the* Archive Folder) and your method didn’t work for that case. I’m using Outlook 2002.

    [Reply]

    Reply
  4. Rob

    OK solved it. I search the registry (using regedit) for the archive file name. IIRC it was located in one of those long numeric registry entries – I simply deleted the entire numeric registry entry. Fixed.

    [Reply]

    Reply
  5. Vito

    This solution worked for me. Thanks! It also fixed the issue I had moving messages to my calendar. The error was something like: the object could not be found it may have been moved or deleted.

    [Reply]

    Reply
  6. Troy

    I followed the same directions (for windows 7) and I am still receiving the message, why would Microsoft program error messages so vague? it’s beyond me.

    [Reply]

    Reply
  7. Props

    Brialliant, first site that came up in google and fixed within five mins. It would have taken longer If I had tried to restart the PC 🙂

    thanks heaps

    [Reply]

    Reply
  8. Dave Kulick

    First one for 2011! We’re still using 2003 at my job and this has been driving me nuts for a year. I finally decided to fix it, came across your article, and deleting frmcache.dat worked perfectly. Thanks.

    [Reply]

    Reply
  9. Eddy Akl

    unfortunatly it didnt work for me any other solution its driving me nuts to fix it :S im working on a win vista business and an outlook 2007

    [Reply]

    Reply
  10. Anand

    Woohoo .. worked like a charm. First article I opened and first solution I tried out. Outlook was back on its toes in 2 mins. Thanks a ton for the post. Saved me hours of misery!

    [Reply]

    Reply
  11. supertyler

    Did not work for me – XP with Win 2007.

    The problem I have is that within my email inbox I cannot open (or accept) calendar updates to a weekly meeting which is regularly shifted.

    Additionally, attempting to open the session within the calendar itself (which is now out of date due to updates not being reflected) also results in the same error.

    I will persevere for a while, then may try the coffee cup method.

    [Reply]

    supertyler replied on October 13th, 2011:

    Correction: “XP with OUTLOOK 2007”

    [Reply]

    Reply
  12. Crazy

    This worked for me too!

    I use a shortcut ALL the time (“C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\OUTLOOK.EXE” /c ipm.note).

    I followed the directions. I moved the FRMCACHE.dat file from the directory …Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\FORMS. I kept it just in case something went awry. Just as the article said, the FRMCACHE.dat file was regenerated, and my shortcut worked again. Thanks!

    [Reply]

    Reply
  13. Yash

    Hi everyone,am having the nearly the same problem wz MS Outlook2003 when i click on the send button whenever am sending a mail.I get the following msg in the Microsoft Office Word “The Operation Failed.An Object could not be found”

    Tried the above but unfortunately wz no positive result. Plz help dr,am tired googling but non of the solution fix the problem.

    Plz help help help help

    [Reply]

    Reply
  14. Petr

    Hi,

    Thank for the article. It solved my problem. I was living with this error for 6 months!. Our IT department could not figure this out.

    Thanks again.

    [Reply]

    Reply
  15. Pingback: Outlook 2003 Archive.pst Could Not Be Found | OutlookRecoveryGuide.org

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Please Answer: * Time limit is exhausted. Please reload the CAPTCHA.